These past three weeks have flown by, and if I wanted to describe all the events and things that I've learned this could turn into a novella, so I’ll try to be picky about what I write.
According to the guide books, Grahamstown is a great little city of about 120, 000 people and approximately 140 religious buildings. In real life, it feels very much like Fredericton in September; full of students and with double-decker pubs that have strange names like the Rat and Parrot. The weather isn't always as warm as you'd expect, but the people are friendly and it's relatively easy to find your way around the main streets. I live in a lovely apartment in a building close to work, and right down the street there is a shopping area called Pepper Grove which includes a PicknPay grocery store, pharmacy, flower shop and other basic needs. KFC is also there, and it makes me miss Mary Brown every time I walk by. Every morning on the way to work there are people selling calla lilies and bird of paradise (or crane flowers) out of milk cartons, and from anywhere in the city you can see the surrounding hillside. People here seem to be happy and not too rushed, and in the parts that I've seen so far it feels relaxed and historical, with plenty of old buildings and churches.
There are lots of great animals around as well, including the cape weavers who built the nests in this tree. I'm not sure how they choose which trees to build in, but it's interesting to look up and see all these little guys hard at work.
Cape Weavers are little yellow birds with reddish-orange heads and they build their kidney-shaped nests out of grass. Sometimes the nests are two and three stories high, and are constructed to try and impress potential lady weavers. They're loud and fast, and seem determined to out-construct each other in an animal kingdom 'keeping up with the Jones's' sort of way.
Another interesting creature I've come across is the Hottentot Golden Mole, which we found in the middle of a grassy path on the Rhodes University campus. Unfortunately I had to save it from getting stepped on by a passerby (there was shouting and arm-flailing involved and just like that I became the campus loon), and didn’t get a chance to snap a picture. Apparently my screams of "Don't step on the mole!" were enough to scare it, and in the blink of an eye it was back in the ground, safe to burrow for another day.
This past week we all went to the beach at Kenton-on-Sea and I’m attaching a few photos that I took there, including one of my old friend, the Cuban warship. They were everywhere along the beach, and were much smaller than the ones in the Caribbean. The weather was great but not warm enough for swimming, and there were a few people hiking around the sand dunes. Even though we didn't get in the water the scenery was beautiful and none of the pictures I've seen can capture it. The combination of rocks, dunes and waves was pretty intoxicating and I can't wait to be back there in swimming weather.
This coming weekend will be a busy one as I'm preparing for a coastal tour of South Africa with work that is sure to be amazing. It's also special for two other reasons: the first is that at home right now everyone is buying excessively large turkeys in preparation for Thanksgiving (to my American friends, I'm sorry we stole your holiday). The second is that many of my family members have gathered from various locations and are celebrating my uncle's birthday in Lark Harbour, Newfoundland. Although I'm not holding anyone's hand around a table of food right now, I'd like to combine these two occasions and say how thankful I am for my family. They've always encouraged me, inspired me, and their love and support has meant so much. I love you all.
To Uncle Jim, I wish you a very happy birthday full of Mosey, dancing and dough-boys. Maybe this time next year you'll be where I am right now, and in the meantime, eat lots of Joanie home-cooking for me.
xo
Jiddles

Jilly:
ReplyDeleteI keep posting comments to you and I can't ever see them show up - must be a Blonde thing. I will keep reading but not playing anymore. And when I vacuum I'm going to empty the dirt all back on the floor again. Love you. AP xo